I promise I smile more often than this.
Project & Event Management
I have been developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading on a freelance basis since April 2014 and as a staff editor since September 2016. I specialize in literary fiction, SF/F, and memoir. I actively practice conscious editing.
Want to hire me to edit your manuscript? Visit my freelance page for more information!
I specialize in researching outreach oppourtunities for the publishing industry. My current focus is raising awareness of the industry in high school student publications classes and identifiying how industry professionals can better familiarize themselves with the potential for increased diversity and skill by being involved with high school publications. For more information and to view my findings, visit my research page.
From conception to publication and all the marketing, editing, and design in between, I'm thoroughly experienced with the book-making process as both a staff member and team manager. I've managed project teams of three to eight people for both book publishing and event planning, and I've created manuals to guide future iterations of project management. A sample management manual is available on my expertise page.
Since August 2013, I've planned a variety of literary events, including author signings, panel discussions, book launches, and full conferences. For more information on the conference I coordinated and managed in 2018, see the Write to Publish website.
My experience with design includes website design and organization (both with and without a template), business cards, book covers, restaurant menus, and magazine interiors. Samples of my designs are available on my expertise page.
Microsoft Office - Word, Track Changes, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Access
Adobe Creative Cloud - InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat
iWork - Pages, Numbers, Keynote
Chicago Style (16 & 17) / AP Style
Website content management
Other languages - French (proficient), ASL (beginner)
Marketing, Publicity, Social Media
Admin - basic accounting, inventory, inbox management
2017 - Present
• Creating and shaping a new iteration of the project team. Before, the team focused solely on event planning; with my leadership, the team has grown to include book development as well
• Managing a team of 10-12 students
• Planning and implementing the annual Write to Publish conference, Ooligan’s largest fundraiser
• Securing 25-40 sponsors, vendors, speakers, and donors
• Budget planning
• Researching additional fundraising and community outreach opportunities as a not-for-profit organization
• Developing book projects to expand Ooligan’s influence within the Pacific Northwest literary community
• Copy editing, line editing, and developmental editing for book manuscripts, internal documents such as marketing plans, and external documents such as social media posts and emails; development of and strict adherence to house style guides
• Design work, including book cover design concepts (one of which was chosen as a finalist for an Ooligan title), logo design concepts, poster design, and typography
• Blog posts on topics such as project updates, life inside the press, and industry education
• Social media promotion, including general press promotion, event promotion, and book promotion
2017 - Present
2014 - Present
AMYLIA RYAN, LITERARY EDITING SERVICES
• Copyediting and proofreading for any size of manuscripts, marketing copy, marketing plans letters/emails/correspondences, scripts
• Developmental and line editing for book-length manuscripts
• Adherence to the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition
• Specializing in literary fiction, SF/F, and memoir
• Brainstorming, organizing, and hosting events both in-store and off-site, including book launches, author signings, and community fundraisers
• Booking locations for both small (<10 attendees) and large (50+ attendees) events
• Coordinating authors, panelists, speakers, and interviewers for a variety of literary events
Master of Arts Degree: Book Publishing
PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY
Completed coursework in copyediting, developmental editing, book design, intellectual property and copyright, agenting, acquisitions, and digital content management.
Non-Degree Coursework: Business and Accouting
Completed coursework in financial accounting, managerial accounting, personal finance, business mathematics, microeconomics, and macroeconomics.
Bachelor of Arts Degree: English Literature
Minor: French Language and Literature
High School Diploma
SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY
Completed coursework in the history of English language literature, American literature, literature of colonial India, French language/culture/history/literature, the science fiction tradition, Irish myths and folklore, and the vampire tradition.
LIBERTY HIGH SCHOOL
Participated in yearbook/student publications as a staff editor, marching band, choir, and French Club. Completed AP/Honors coursework in English, US history, and physics.
It's difficult to really get to know someone through just a resume, so now that you've read about my experience, here's a slideshow so you can learn more about me as a person.
MORE ABOUT ME
I'm passionate about the publishing industry and securing its future as a diverse, inclusive industry through the practice of conscious editing and by raising awareness of publishing as a viable career path for high school students.